I use a short fabric strap or fob to hang D-rings on my purse.
This is the next step in making a unique, funky, yet classy art purse.
There are a lot of different meaning for Fob…in this post we’ll stick to this one:
FOB: watch pocket; a short strap, ribbon, or chain attached especially to a pocket watch …
We are making a short strap and using it to attach:
I like adding a few bits of decorative hardware, like D-rings to my bags.
When you’re creating your own purse- you’re limited only be your imagination
Doodads and the like can be Buttons, beads, bows, yo-yos, ribbons, lace…etc.
Today let’s make a strap, “FOB” to hold a D-Ring.
Of course, adding doodads and things to your purse is entirely optional
Materials You’ll Need
What we’re gonna do.
To make a strap that will hold a 3/4″ D-ring
- Cut a piece of fabric 3” wide.
- Measure down from the top edge of the bag to a point where you’d like the D-ring to fall. Multiply by two.
So let’s just say that measurement was 4 1/2”
- Cut your fabric 3” wide by 9” long.
- Fold it in half lengthwise – now it’s 1 1/2” by 9”
- Now open it back up.
- Press the raw edges into the center.
- Fold it together on that first fold, creating a 3/4” X 9” length.
- Top stitch close to each side. You can also add a row of top stitching down the center if you like.
That wide? You might be asking…
Yes that wide – the math: Width of D-ring (3/4″) X 4 = 3″
The length will be determined by where the flap falls. You’ll want the D-ring and a bit of the strap to peek out from under the flap.
Add the D-Ring and Strap to the Bag
- Slide the D-ring onto the strap
- Fold the strap in half
- Using a Zipper Foot, sew as close as you can to the D-ring, sewing through all layers of the strap.
This keeps the D-ring at the bottom of the strap.
- With the raw edges of the strap even with the top of the bag baste in placea
That’s it for today, next time we’ll put that lining in and some final touches.
Until then Happy Creating!
Adele, Blogging the Creative Life
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I may be compensated a small commission when you make a purchase by clicking on those links. I promote products and services that I use and love. I appreciate your support because it allows me to keep up the content for this blog. For that, I thank you very much!