Making an artful purse takes time, but it is all well worth it when it’s done.
I know What we now have after step 2 looks like…well kind of a mess, doesn’t it.
You might be thinking it can’t really turn into anything cool, let alone a purse that is worthy to be called wearable art!
Magic will happen with just a few simple appliques.
I’m not saying that you have to limit yourself to circles either.
But I lean towards a circular shape for a couple of reasons.
- Ease of appliqué
- It gives the eye a break from all the angular cuts.
You can make your circles using this handy Fiskars Fabric Circle Cutter
- Use some plastic container lids for templates
- trace around them with a pencil,
- Cut out your shapes
Either method works well.
Part 3 Steps for an Artful Purse
- Fabrics to contrast and coordinate with the background.
- Scraps need to be large enough to make circles from 2″ – 5″ in diameter.
- optional Fabric Circle Cutter
- Threads to match or contrast appliques
What You’ll Do
- Fuse webbing to the back of your fabric according to manufacturer’s directions
- Trace the circle shapes to the right side of fabric or use the Fiskars Fabric Circle Cutter (following manufacturer’s directions)
- Now Start “showcasing” them on your fabric.
- Once you’re satisfied. Fuse the appliqués in place.
- Using a narrow satin stitch with matching or contrasting thread and stitching close to the edge appliqué your shapes in place.
You can make circles as small or large as you like I usually make mine between 2 and 4 inches, Sometimes 5 depending on the fabrics and the project.
Make plenty of them so you have choices. I usually make a dozen or so in different sizes and colors.
Put them on the background and arrange them until you like what you see.
Step 3 of your Artful Purse
Step 3 is now complete.
You could just turn it into an abstract wall hanging or continue along with me in the making of your new purse.
Happy purse making 🙂
Adele, Blogging the Creative Life
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I may be compensated a small commission when you make a purchase by clicking on those links. I promote products and services that I use and love. I appreciate your support because it allows me to keep up the content for this blog. For that, I thank you very much!