So you need a design wall in your sewing space and you need it NOW!
This is how I made a design wall in a jiffy for my temporary quilting studio.
Design Wall in a Jiffy Materials:
- a piece of Batting (mine is roughly 4' X 5')
- Two slats of wood I used 2" X 20"
- Muslin Fabric
- Command Picture Hanging Strips
- Rotary Cutter, ruler, and mat pins
- Sewing machine and thread
- Cut a piece of muslin fabric 2 1/2" wide by
- Cut this strip into four 7" lengths.
*If your slats of wood are wider you will need longer strips.
I calculated my stips like this (width of wood X 1.75″) X 2
or 2 X 1.75 = 3.5 X 7 = 7″
Depending on the size of your batting you may choose to make more than four strips
- Fold each of these in half
- Pin each folded of these with the raw edges even with the top
of your batting, spaced evenly
- Sew the fabric strips to the batting across the top. For
extra durability sew close to edge and 1/4" away.
- Sew the strips along the folded edge to the batting to keep
the "casing" in place.
*Note: Photo does not show folded edge sewn. This is an important step!! if you don’t sew the “casing” on the folded edge it will flip up, like tab top curtains, when you hang the design wall. This was learned by experience 🙂
- Slide slates through the openings of the fabric
- Apply command strips as directed
- Hang on the wall. *A second pair of hands, while not
necessary, is helpful to hang this in place!
Happy creating and quilting with your new design wall.
Adele, Blogging the Creative Life
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I may be compensated a small commission when you make a purchase by clicking on those links. I promote products and services that I use and love. I appreciate your support because it allows me to keep up the content for this blog. For that I thank you very much!
Latest posts by Adele (see all)
- Yes You Can Make Your Own Pita Bread! - May 23, 2017
- Quilt Art Inspired by Pianist Cecile Chaminade - May 16, 2017
- So, you want to Learn How to Quilt! Advice for Beginners - May 9, 2017