Why not give your next sewing project a funky and fun 3-Dimensional style?
They’re not only fun to create but super easy too.
I use these cute little things on wall hangings and purses.
3-Dimensional Applique Material List
- Fabric Scraps
- Batting Scraps
- Sharp Scissor
- For a Wall hanging: 1/2” Wide Steam-A-Seam 2, Double Stick Fusible tape
*If you’re making these for a purse, you won’t need the double stick fusible tape
You can make these in any shape or size you want.
Circles, squares, leaves, etc…
For this lesson I decided on circles.
How to make 3-Dimensional appliques
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric and one piece of batting, in whatever shape you decided on.
- Make a small slit in one piece of fabric,
(make sure this piece is on top when you sew everything together)
- With right sides of fabric together (slit piece on top) place fabric pieces on top of the batting.
- Machine stitch, completely around the shape 1/4” away from the raw edges.
- Clip curved edges and corners for easier turning.
- Turn right side out through the slit you cut. (Cut slit
larger if necessary.) Using the stiletto, work to make the curves or points of shape as smooth as possible
For Wall Art
- Fuse a piece of steam-a-seam on the wrong side of the shape, this will also cover up the opening.
- Fuse shape to the quilted background
- Sew the dimensional applique in place using a decorative stitch and/or free motion quilting
- Sew the opening closed
- Sew a button to the center front
- Hand sew the 3-dimensional applique to the purse. Sew stitches close to the edge of the applique and through the top of the purse.
Adele, Blogging the Creative Life
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I may be compensated a small commission when you make a purchase by clicking on those links. I promote products and services that I use and love. I appreciate your support because it allows me to keep up the content for this blog. For that, I thank you very much!