*1 1/2 cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
2-3 cups Organic White Bread Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
*1 tablespoon Organic Raw Honey
*1 tablespoon Organic Barley Malt Syrup
1 tablespoon oil
1 egg white
1 1/4 cups water, lukewarm
*indicates ingredients that were adapted from original recipe
- In a the bowl of your mixer, add all of the water, the yeast, and one cup of white flour.
- Mix this together and cover.
- Kaiser Rolls, Preferment, Water, Yeast and small amount of flour
- Mix Water, Yeast and first amount of flour in a bowl
- This can sit and do it’s thing for 6 or so hours.
- Preferment after a couple of hours, It should be bubbly
- Between 1 and 2 in the afternoon it’s time to mix the dough.
- First add the wheat flour and then the salt
- Begin mixing your dough. (I use a Kitchen Aid Mixer) but you can mix your dough in a bowl by had if you like.
- Next, add the raw honey, organic malt syrup, egg white, egg, and oil. Mix well to combine the ingredients.
- Add one cup of flour, continue adding the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time until the dough can be handled and isn’t super sticky any more.
- Knead dough.
- Put your dough in a greased bowl, turning once,
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning once.
- cover and let rise for about an hour, or until doubled in size.
- The dough should be doubled in size. nice and puffy.
- An hour or so later, punch your dough down. Turn it once and cover it again. Let it rise for another 45 minutes.
- Now it’s time to shape the dough into rolls.
- First punch your dough down, and “dump” it onto a floured covered counter.
- Let it rest for a few minutes.
- Prepare a pan for baking.
- I use a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- I found a great tool to help me with my Kaiser Rolls. If you don’t have the Kaiser Roll Stamp. The Fresh Loaf has directions for making the swirl by hand.
- I made the swirls by hand with my first batch, but the Kaiser Roll Stamp is my preferred method, and I will guide you through that method.
- Cut your dough into 8 or 10 equal pieces
- Dough Separated into 10 portions and shaped into balls
- Shape into a ball and place them on your prepared pan
- Spray the Kaiser Stemp with some cooking spray
- Press the stamp into the top of each ball of dough
- Using the Kaiser Stamp to create swirls in the top of the rolls
- Brush or spritz your rolls with water and sprinkle with poppy seeds
- Now just cover your rolls loosely, and put them in the fridge.
- That’s done for the day and now you can go about the rest of your evening your rolls will be slowly rising.
- It’s Sunday morning
- About 1/2 hour – 45 minutes before baking your rolls (so at least an 1 1/2 hours before you plan on eating your delicious rolls)
- Take them out of the fridge and turn your oven on to 450 degrees.
- Also place a sheet pan on the rack below your rolls.
- Uncover those plump rolls and place them in the oven.
- “Toss” a cup of ice cubes in the tray beneath – this will give your oven some steam – and shut the oven door.
- After 10 minutes rotate the pan
copyright 2016 Adele Mogavero
See How to make Kaiser Rolls for Breakfast without getting up at 2 AM
for a step by step guide.
Adele, Blogging the Creative Life
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I may be compensated a small commission when you make a purchase by clicking on those links. I promote products and services that I use and love. I appreciate your support because it allows me to maintain the content for this blog. For that I thank you very much!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
My Pattern Shop
Join my Mailing List
Visit my Shop
The following two tabs change content below.
Fiber Artist, Author, Designer, Pianist, and Organic Foodee.
My Mission is to inspire and educate the creator in you.