Making an awesome, you don’t want to hide it, abstract Quilt Backing
and it doesn’t have to cost you a nickel!
If you are just finding this post begin here
Part 2 of 3
- Press your long length. Mine is 10″ By 64″, not wide enough but it is plenty long enough.
- You’ll need more scraps, preferably lengths of 15 – 30″ long.
- Cut your long lengths any where from 1″ super narrow, to a generaous 2 1/2″ wide.
I could simply add a 4″ length of fabric to one side, but I want this to be a bit more on the abstract crazy, Del~Lillian Style kinda thing.
How to do a Basic Slice and sew.
- Make a diagonal cut, anywhere and at any angle.
- With RST sew the backing to each side of the strip.
How to make a Complex Slice and Sew
- Begin with a diagonal cut. To make it more interesting cut it in the opposite direction.
- sew a strip to one side
- Now make a Basic Slice and sew with the other section of backing.
- Go ahead and even the edge up.
- Now sew this Basic Slice and Sew to the narrow strip in step two
The edges will end up jagged, and that’s fine.
This process is simply repeated across the length of the backing fabric
For more abstract, or artsy fartsy drama, slice and sews can also be made through existing ones.
We’ll finish this in (Part 3)
Adele, Blogging the Creative Life
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I may be compensated a small commission when you make a purchase by clicking on those links. I promote products and services that I use and love. I appreciate your support because it allows me to maintain the content for this blog. For that I thank you very much!