Making a Creative Binding
When I made the Crystal Cove Beetle Wall Hanging last week, I wanted to create the entire piece with the precut 10″ stack collection.
I decided to do a strip pieced binding usnign the 10″ precuts.
How To Make a Strip Pieced Binding
- Select about 8 – 10 different colors
- Cut 2 strips from each color 2 1/2″ wide
- Arrange into two sets in the same order.
- Sew the strips together, making two strip pieced units . (Make sure each unit is in the same order)
- Matching seams (and fabrics) sew the units together forming one block
- Press the center seam open.
- Trim edges even
- From binding fabriccut strips at a 45 degree angle – 1 1/2″ wide. Cut as many as you will need to go around your quilt.
- Cut ends of Strips so they will be at opposite angles.
- Sew strips together at a 45 degree angle, forming a continuous binding.
I did this so matching fabrics were not being sewn together, keeping the angled strips closer more consistent in size. Keep in mind ether will be some anomaly’s in strips because it is pieced in the center.
The amount of binding you will need will depend on the size of your quilt.
Quilt Calculater to determine the amount of binding you will need.
Learn more about Edges & Bindings with Mimi Dietrich in a Craftsy Class.
Next week will be finishing up Still Life at 3AM, Which I’ve renamed to Kismet
From Your “Creativity Instigator” 🙂
Live, Love, Laugh, Learn and Create it!
Latest posts by Adele (see all)
- Yes You Can Make Your Own Pita Bread! - May 23, 2017
- Quilt Art Inspired by Pianist Cecile Chaminade - May 16, 2017
- So, you want to Learn How to Quilt! Advice for Beginners - May 9, 2017