Using Fresh Beets, Carrots and Kale from The Garden
It made a surprisingly Delicious and Nutritious salad
Last week I bought “fresh” Cauliflower, when I cut it open it looked a little funky around the leaves.
But the head looked fine so Tossing out the “funky” leaves, I prepared my veggie for dinner.
Middle of the night I felt really sick to my stomach – which is not normal for me.
The Cauliflower had that funky stuff on it, so I’m blaming the Cauliflower.
This has totally motivated me to be more determined then ever to eat food from our garden.
What’s available right now?
Can you really do something with that vegetable combination?
I did an internet search and sure enough there are all sorts of recipes out there.
I didn’t have all the ingredients, so I experimented just a bit.
This is my version of a Beet, Carrot, and Kale Salad.
What I did
- I used four small beets, they were about 1 1/2″ in diameter and that yielded me about 3/4 – 1 cup of grated beets.
- The carrots were tiny also, about 5″ long, I was able to get about 1 cup maybe a bit more and it was plenty for the salad.
- I like to wash my Kale twice, I wash the leaves, then tear it apart and wash it again using a salad spinner to dry them.
- Quinoa is great to have in the fridge, make up a couple of cups for the week and you’ve got a nice addition to lots of recipes.
Both the beets and carrots were grated in a food processor
When I was reading some of the recipes, one of them suggested nuts. I had Pecans on hand so I decided to throw them in.
Another recipe suggested Feta Cheese, but I had run out.
The cheeses I had on hand were, cheddar, mozzarella, and Fontina – decided to go with the Fontina cheese and use an Italian dressing.
Happy to say it was a delicious salad – worth the experiment and kept me satisfied throughout my afternoon.
Let me know if you try it and what you think with a comment below.
Adele, Creative Domestic Engineer
Affiliate Links are included in this post, if you purchase an item through them I will receive a small compensation
Latest posts by Adele (see all)
- Review of A Sourdough Cookbook and My Thoughts - April 25, 2017
- What To Do About that UFO You Really Don’t Want To Finish - April 18, 2017
- How to Make a Design Wall in a Jiffy! - April 11, 2017