Want to be a better quilter? May I suggest a sampler Quilt?
Well, I can because this is my blog … 🙂
I used the Island Batik Equinox Collection of Fabrics to make the Autumnal Equinox Sampler Quilt. With its bright colors you can almost feel the closing of the summer days and the coming of the brisk fall mornings. It is a beautiful collection of color and texture.
- This project is part of the Island Batik Ambassador, Seaside Summer Blog Hop
- To add extra highlights and depth to this quilt, I quilted it using Fantastico Thread by Superior Thread – color: Blaze.
- The Batting used in this project is Natural Cotton Select Batting from Quilter’s Dream Batting.
Why do I think a sampler Quilt will make you a better quilter?
Because Sampler Quilts:
- Give you the opportunity to hone your skills – one block at a time
- They let you sample a block or several that are new, or practice those that are tried and true.
- The Variety in blocks alone will keep you interested and engaged in the process. It’s kind of like opening up a box of chocolates – you never know what you’ll get right?
- They will show you your weak and strong skills
- They are a good way to use up scrap fabrics
The Autumnal Equinox Sampler Quilt has seven blocks that are made just once. And six more that are repeated 2 or more times in the quilt.
Some of the blocks will be ones you make often, like the four patch. Some you may have never tried before
It’s fun to have just one block to make and see how it feels
A block that gives you a problem? Make a few to master it.
And they are lovely done with a collection like The Equinox Collection from Island Batik, which gives a sampler quilt cohesive design.
Although Sampler Quilts historically are made with non repeating blocks and in a grid, I choose a less traditional path for The Autumnal Equinox Sampler.
It has several blocks that are repeated 2 or more times to create unique designs within the quilt.
Instead of a grid setting I choose to make this sampler free style.
It was created using Electric Quilt 7
Do You Think a Sampler Quilt can make YOU a better Quilter?
Like the style? Want to try one with me?
You’ll get the inside scoop about the scrap Fabric Sampler Quilt Challenge – a free quilter’s challenge and The Autumnal Equinox Sampler Online Quilt Class – with additional small projects to hone your skills even further.
And Now for that Summer Beach Snack
How a loaf of Homemade Sour Dough Bread, Cheeses, and a nice bottle of red wine. Perfect for a day at the beach.
And don’t forget to relax with a good book!
From Island Batik
a Rafflecopter giveaway
From Adele Mogavero (me) * Del~Lillian’s
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I may be compensated a small commission when you make a purchase by clicking on those links. I promote products and services that I use and love. I appreciate your support because it allows me to maintain the content for this blog. For that I thank you very much!
Adele, Creative Domestic Engineer